In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, ELR has created a series of free virtual informational videos or "fireside chats" and informational materials on matters related to COVID-19. The chosen topics are ones we felt are of a concern to people in our Louisiana community, including: (1) unemployment benefits and eligibility criteria; (2) landlord-tenant issues; and (3) advanced directives and wills.
Because this crisis is constantly evolving we will do our best to consistently update resources as new information and resources are available.
Please be advised that videos and informational resources constitute informal guidance only, do not constitute legal advice, and do not take the place of advice from an attorney.
COVID-19 Referral Resources:
This document is a list of free legal services, assistance with unemployment and Medicaid applications, and financial support programs in the greater New Orleans Area: COVID-19 Referral List
- In Louisiana, the Louisiana Workforce Commission (LWC) handles unemployment claims. You can file for unemployment in two ways:
- (1) Online through the LWC Website: Louisiana Workforce Commission: LAWorks Homepage
- (2) Calling the LWC Claims Center: 866-783-5567
- Effective March 17, 2020, Claims Center hours are 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- ELR's Presentation on Unemployment Benefits in Louisiana and COVID-19: